What it Takes to Transfer | HCTC

Checklist for Transfer

Checklist for Transfer

Select a Major and a School

The most important decision is selecting a school that offers the degree you are seeking. However, if you are planning to live on campus it is a good idea to schedule a campus tour through the Office of Admissions at the college of your choice. You will have an opportunity to see the campus, visit housing, talk to the Office of Financial Aid, visit with the department of the major you plan to pursue and get your questions answered. Whether you move or complete your degree online, it is important to select a college that fits your needs.

Know the Requirements

Most institutions require a minimum GPA for admissions this may vary so it is best to check the Admissions Requirements on the transfer college web page. Selective admissions academic programs may have additional GPA and specific course requirements. You will be required to send an HCTC transcript that verifies your coursework and GPA. Have official transcripts from all schools you have attended sent to the college to which you plan to transfer. Institutions prefer to have transcripts sent directly to them from the Registrar s Office, and will not accept hand-delivered copies even in a sealed envelope.

Complete an Application

Students seeking admission to a college or university are required to complete an application. Applications are available on college web sites under the Admissions tab. Many institutions also require an application fee (usually under $50). If you need assistance with the application fee, please see Cassandra Sexton, CEOC Counselor. She may be able to assist you with this. She has an office in the University Center of the Mountains on the Hazard Campus. You may contact her at 606-487-3190.

Completion of the FAFSA and Scholarship Applications

You will need to complete the FAFSA and list the school to which you plan to transfer. Scholarship applications are separate from the FAFSA. Check the school website and their Financial Aid Office link for this information. Complete your FAFSA and apply for scholarships early to meet deadlines that can increase the amount of money you receive. Federal Financial Aid will cover the cost of 12 full-time semesters of college coursework, in pursuit of completion of a bachelor level degree. Plan early and plan carefully so you won t run out of funds!

Watch Your Mail/Email

Watch your postal and electronic mail. The school to which you plan to transfer will contact you to let you know that you have been accepted, request additional materials you may need to send, and to let you know what your financial aid package will be. Respond promptly to all correspondence from the school, and if you re unsure about something, ask!

If you have questions regarding academic transfer, please complete the Transfer Information Form and you will be contacted via email.