Work-Study | HCTC


Are you interested in working while you are in college? Do you need assistance with finding a job that will compliment your studies? There are many opportunities available to students looking for work while attending school. We want to assist you in locating the work opportunity that best supports your vocational and educational goals. You are also encouraged to visit the Career and Transfer Center to discover the numerous resources available. The following are five employment opportunities that you may consider:

Federal Work Study (FWS)

The Federal Work Study program provides funds to students with a financial need. Funds are earned through part-time employment. Hazard Community and Technical College offers a significant number of FWS opportunities. Under the FWS program, you can earn money for your education by working part-time while you are enrolled in school at least half-time (6 credit hours) and have documented unmet need. Generally FWS positions are on-campus, but a limited number of opportunities are available off-campus. You will also need to make sure you have completed a financial aid FAFSA application for the current Financial Aid Award Year and have a valid FAFSA on file.

Your total FWS award depends on:

  • when you apply
  • your level of financial need
  • your school's funding level
  • a supervisor's willingness to hire you

Once it has been determined that you are eligible for Federal Work Study, you are required to submit an online application for student employment and a resume. You may be contacted as job opportunities are available. If selected, you will be required to complete an employment background check.