Earn your way back to learn at HCTC!
Forge Your Way Forward is a pilot (for 2019-2020) for students to earn their way back into Hazard Community and Technical College. Forge Your Way Forward relieves past student balances of former HCTC students who did not graduate. The Forge Your Way Forward Pilot Program is made possible through the Kentucky Adult Promise (KAP) Grant.
- Students who have not attended HCTC for 1 or more years.
- Students who have not earned a credential.
- Students who have a past due account balance of $1,000 or less.
- Students whose debt has not been turned over to the Department of Revenue (DOR).
- Students who have a completed FAFSA for the current year (2019-2020) with HCTC as the selected college.
- Students who meet all financial aid student and account balance requirements.
- Students who attend information session.
- Preference may be given to students over age 25.
- Preference may be given to students who are eligible for Work Ready Kentucky Scholarship.
- Preference may be given to students who can complete their chosen credential within a semester.
- Preference may be given to students who have been paying down current student debt.
- Register for a minimum of six credits each semester until credential is received.
- Limit coursework to only those course needed required for graduation.
- Earn a minimum of a "C" grade in each course and maintain a grade point average of 2.5 or higher each semester.
- Meet all financial aid student and account balance requirements.
- Meet monthly with a Kentucky Adult Promise Coach.
- Attend required tutoring sessions or other support session if recommended by instructor, coach, or advisor.
- A student's balance with the college is forgiven in either increments based on the amount owed or number of semesters to receive a credential. Some debts may be paid in full after one successful semester.
- Forge Your Way Forward students must be enrolled at least part-time and maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress to remain eligible.
- Example: Student left HCTC owing a balance of $1,000 in 2013. Student returns to HCTC and enrolls in fall 2019 as a full-time student. Student successfully complete the semester. HCTC forgives $500 of the student's past-due balance. Student enrolls for the next semester. At the end of that successful semester, HCTC forgives another $500 of the past-due balance and successfully completes that semester.
- Please allow up to three weeks with a completed file (including a submitted FAFSA) to ensure accuracy.
The application submission does not guarantee acceptance into the Forge Your Way Forward Pilot Program. The HCTC KAP Team will review the request and contact the applicant.
For more information, contact Ella Strong (email@example.com) at 606-487-3208.