What is Cosmetology?
The Cosmetology program is designed to train you in the theories of hair, skin, and nail care combined with practice of the various techniques used in salons. The program includes instruction in care of the scalp, hands, face, and hair. Instruction is given in professional ethics, hygiene, personality development, bacteriology, anatomy, physiology, sterilization, sanitation, and first aid. You'll have an opportunity during their training to practice your skills on patrons under the supervision of the instructor. After successful completion of the prescribed 1800 hours of instruction (theory and clinical) the graduates are eligible to take the examination administered by the Kentucky Board of Hairdressers and Cosmetology (KBHC) to become a licensed apprentice. After six months of the apprentice program under a licensed cosmetologist, you'll be eligible to become a licensed cosmetologist.
Cosmetology First Day Requirements
- Original High School Diploma, Transcript, or GED.
- Passport Picture (2X2 with Solid Background), not older than a 6-month-old picture.
- Professional Uniforms (Scrubs of any color, style, or print).
- Lab Jacket or Black Nylon Vest (solid black, no mesh).
- White, Black, or Gray Tennis Shoes or Uniform Shoes.
- Books, Manikin Head, Student Kit (Manikin Head and kit, MUST be purchased through the HCTC Bookstore).
- Name Tag (Order at the HCTC Bookstore).
What are my career choices?
You may work as a stylist or cosmetology instructor. Cosmetologists are employed by beauty salons, spas, stores that sell cosmetics, and nursing and other residential-care homes. Many cosmetologists start their own businesses. Instructors are employed at cosmetology schools.
What are my degree, diploma, or certificate options?
Length of Program
You can earn an associate in applied science degree in two years if you maintain full-time status.
This information should not be considered a substitute for the KCTCS Catalog. You should always choose classes in cooperation with your faculty advisor to ensure that you meet all degree requirements.