Types of Aid

Federal Pell Grant

This grant is an award to help you pay for the cost of attending HCTC. The Pell Grant is not a loan and does not have to be repaid by students who maintain satisfactory academic progress. You must apply for a Pell Grant before you can be considered for any additional federal financial aid. The amount you are awarded will depend upon your Expected Family Contribution, the cost of your education at HCTC and the number of semester hours in which you are currently enrolled.

To ensure timely processing of your application and receive consideration for the most funds, you should apply as soon as possible. Students failing to complete their financial aid files before the start of the smester are expected to arrange payment of tuition and fees before starting classes.

Federal College Work Study

The College Work Study Program provides employment opportunities for those students who qualify. Qualifications for the College Work Study Program are based on the information submitted in a processed FAFSA. Work Study employment is based on an average 15-hour work week. Students working in the Program are paid a wage of $7.25 per hour. When possible, students employed in the work-study program are placed in employment related to their course of study. Employment applications for the College Work Study program are available online. For more information, please contact Chuck Anderson (606) 487-3058


Scholarship awards for HCTC students are typically made during the month of March for the following school year. Hazard Community and Technical College endowed scholarships are managed by the HCTC Development Office. For more information, contact the HCTC Development Office at (606) 487-3059.

College Assistance Program (CAP)

CAP is a Kentucky resident s grant program of additional financial assistance. Application for the CAP grant program is completed with the submission and processing of the financial aid application (FAFSA). Priority consideration for CAP grant awards is given to students submitting the FAFSA by March 15 of the award year. Community College students are allowed a total of 5 semesters of assistance from the CAP grant program. Students must be enrolled a minimum of 6 credit hours to qualify.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG)

This federal grant provides additional assistance to attain an undergraduate education if you have exceptional financial need. Application for the SEOG grant program is completed with the submission and processing of the financial aid application (FAFSA). SEOG awards are completed during the spring of each year for the school year that begins the following August. SEOG awards are not loans and do not have to be repaid. Students must be enrolled a minimum of 6 credit hours to qualify.

Student Loans

Loans are different from grants; loans must be repaid. Therefore, loans should be considered as a last option for your educational expenses. Federal loans are the largest source of student loans available. They have more favorable terms than private loans; you shouls try to obtain federal loans before private whenever possible.

Institutional Scholarship Programs

HCTC participates in a number of institutional scholarship programs, offering tuition assistance to qualified students. These scholarships generally cover the cost of tuition only for the following:

  • Senior Citizens
  • Adopted Children
  • KCTCS Employees
  • KCTCS Employees' Dependents